the concept

the concept

The idea came from some friends, Lucy Jason & George, who were back home briefly & raved about a chef in London's East End...http://fridaynightakeout.blogspot.com/
I thought it was such a good idea, the best thing to do would be to bring it to life here where I live in New Zealand.
So...I'm also a freelance chef, each week I cook a different dish, depending on what's in season, what's good now, or just how I feel. Lately I've been cooking a lot of my mother's dishes

Dish descriptions will be posted here online early in the week, recipes later over the weekend, with links to:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pabloskitchen/130053437081945 & http:/twitter.com/#!/pabloskitchen

As I play with the idea through the week, the dish maybe evolves a little, but that's half the fun. Meals will be priced at $20, incl delivery & orders can be made anytime up to roughly lunchtime Thursday, which is when I go shopping. Simply get in touch, email or txt, you can order as many as you like!
Afternoon Friday I'll deliver dinnerboxes warm/cooling/cold, locally in & around my base, which admittedly does change a bit - currently I'm north of Auckland, living by the beach in Mangawhai (just let me know where you are when you get in touch).

tel: 021 676 123
email: pabloskitchen@yahoo.com

I've recently included an email subscription option at the bottom of this page &, while I have no idea how it works, the hope is that it automatically sends to subscribers email notifications each week about the dish...so, sign up!

disclaimer:
From time to time, when the wanderlust takes over, I hit the road & disappear in search of dishes, tastes & ingredients elsewhere. Then this blog takes on a different kind of persona; a travelling recipe book of notes, pics & stories, ideas to inspire & for me to return to, once I get back home.

Tuesday 6 March 2012

Fri09mar12: boxed lasagne sottosopra

cook-a-cow continued 
this week’s cut: #8,13,14 topside/flank skirt, minced
firstly, the skirt is a lean part of the flank which is located beneath the brisket, about cow belly region of the cow I’m cooking; higher up, behind the rump sits the topside.  Stu, my mt eden butcher, (detecting nominative determinism?) reserves these cuts, as ideal for mince, the remainder of the flank being used for sausages made in the shop (something for a future fridaynightdinnerbox i feel)
---
Hmmm…mince+love my pasta machine+end of summer veg+noodlebox…

The challenge of the noodle box format of fridaynightdinnerbox meals lends opportunity to experiment somewhat, so this week the noodle box itself doubles not just as a container but also as a type of terrine mould, lending its shape & depth to the finished dish. Surely the perfect reason to choose lasagne!

Only slightly deviating from the regular approach, ingredients for the lasagne will all be prepped & cooked separately from start to finish, before being layered, as with a terrine, in the container to settle & bind. in a sense lasagne deconstructed.

I expect it to be a little looser than the regular baked version, but the idea is that it can be micro-zapped when you get home & turned out (sottosopra is Italian for upside down) directly onto the plate, ready to eat. The cheese sauce as always will bind the layers, the sauce will add its own richness, & so on…
Autumn vegetables with beurre de maitre d’hotel, a green salad will accompany

Orders as soon as possible please, cut of will be Wednesday night, details of delivery to be arranged in person...work/home/the office is all fine. Just let me know.

Until then though, I have some experimenting to do!

Email me: pabloskitchen@yahoo.com (subject: fridaynightdinnerbox)
Or txt me: 021 2414 020

No comments:

Post a Comment