the concept

the concept

The idea came from some friends, Lucy Jason & George, who were back home briefly & raved about a chef in London's East End...http://fridaynightakeout.blogspot.com/
I thought it was such a good idea, the best thing to do would be to bring it to life here where I live in New Zealand.
So...I'm also a freelance chef, each week I cook a different dish, depending on what's in season, what's good now, or just how I feel. Lately I've been cooking a lot of my mother's dishes

Dish descriptions will be posted here online early in the week, recipes later over the weekend, with links to:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pabloskitchen/130053437081945 & http:/twitter.com/#!/pabloskitchen

As I play with the idea through the week, the dish maybe evolves a little, but that's half the fun. Meals will be priced at $20, incl delivery & orders can be made anytime up to roughly lunchtime Thursday, which is when I go shopping. Simply get in touch, email or txt, you can order as many as you like!
Afternoon Friday I'll deliver dinnerboxes warm/cooling/cold, locally in & around my base, which admittedly does change a bit - currently I'm north of Auckland, living by the beach in Mangawhai (just let me know where you are when you get in touch).

tel: 021 676 123
email: pabloskitchen@yahoo.com

I've recently included an email subscription option at the bottom of this page &, while I have no idea how it works, the hope is that it automatically sends to subscribers email notifications each week about the dish...so, sign up!

disclaimer:
From time to time, when the wanderlust takes over, I hit the road & disappear in search of dishes, tastes & ingredients elsewhere. Then this blog takes on a different kind of persona; a travelling recipe book of notes, pics & stories, ideas to inspire & for me to return to, once I get back home.

Tuesday 3 April 2012

thur05apr: gulaschsuppe mit zwiebelbrot (goulash soup with onion bread)

cook-a-cow: continued 
this week’s cut: aus der schwanz-rolle (eye of the round)

Despite appearances, the fridaynightdinnerbox is not undergoing an identity crisis: a German dish this week, cooked on Thursday, since Easter Friday brings dinnerbox demand a day fwd to Thursday, end of the working week.


Background: one a rainy afternoon at the end of a shift, over a beer, one of the other chefs told me about a dish her mother used to cook her when she was little. Sonja is from the countryside just outside Frankfurt, here in NZL for now & lately, like me, picking up shifts with the Austins kitchen brigade. She told me how the fields behind their house would flood in winter, freezing over perfect for ice skating. The kids would all go out & return hours later frozen to the bone, warm gulaschsuppe waiting on the stove.

Sonja's mum would prepare tri-coloured pasta spirals & an iceberg salad with sour cream dressing to go with it, but when Sonja steps in she makes her own onion bread, sautéed onions with herbs, to mop up the sauce. I like both, so will probably come up with a combination of the two for this week's fridaynightdinnerbox.

The goulash I’m cooking this week is a winter dish, but then, it was raining & windy as I jotted down the recipe this afternoon &, as I type now, outside is raining & cold. Ok, so there's no ice cap on Mt Eden & Lake Pupuke might not have frozen over, yet, but still, sounds like winter to me.

With a little dishy detail then: thick cut pieces of steak & vegetables, slowly cooked all day in red wine, a fairly wet finish, homemade onion bread to mop up the sauce.

Cooking through Wednesday, improving overnight to be ready for Thursday, get in early.
Drop offs from 4pm onwards, to the office/site/home just let me know what suits

To order, contact me by txt or email
txt: 021 2414 020
or
email: pabloskitchen@yahoo.com (subject heading: “fridaynightdinnerbox”)
& I’ll confirm your order when received.

talk to you soon…
cheers - Pablo

-thanx for the picture Sonja!

1 comment:

  1. Want this again! Really enjoyed the stew- can I call it that without offending any one- great with the onion bread- loved the lingering taste of the sauce- the red wine richness and depth.

    ReplyDelete