the concept

the concept

The idea came from some friends, Lucy Jason & George, who were back home briefly & raved about a chef in London's East End...http://fridaynightakeout.blogspot.com/
I thought it was such a good idea, the best thing to do would be to bring it to life here where I live in New Zealand.
So...I'm also a freelance chef, each week I cook a different dish, depending on what's in season, what's good now, or just how I feel. Lately I've been cooking a lot of my mother's dishes

Dish descriptions will be posted here online early in the week, recipes later over the weekend, with links to:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pabloskitchen/130053437081945 & http:/twitter.com/#!/pabloskitchen

As I play with the idea through the week, the dish maybe evolves a little, but that's half the fun. Meals will be priced at $20, incl delivery & orders can be made anytime up to roughly lunchtime Thursday, which is when I go shopping. Simply get in touch, email or txt, you can order as many as you like!
Afternoon Friday I'll deliver dinnerboxes warm/cooling/cold, locally in & around my base, which admittedly does change a bit - currently I'm north of Auckland, living by the beach in Mangawhai (just let me know where you are when you get in touch).

tel: 021 676 123
email: pabloskitchen@yahoo.com

I've recently included an email subscription option at the bottom of this page &, while I have no idea how it works, the hope is that it automatically sends to subscribers email notifications each week about the dish...so, sign up!

disclaimer:
From time to time, when the wanderlust takes over, I hit the road & disappear in search of dishes, tastes & ingredients elsewhere. Then this blog takes on a different kind of persona; a travelling recipe book of notes, pics & stories, ideas to inspire & for me to return to, once I get back home.

Friday 3 August 2012

fri03aug2012: mussels>moules marinières

Picture this: 32° & clear blue skies, out the back door beyond the infinity pool & over the hedge, stretches 12km of beach, raked daily, & out front the speedboat is parked in the marina just over the road, incase we need to run into town for more bottles of rosé. The scene for my next dish.
I'm in the south of France visiting friends in SèteSète is situated on an isthmus which juts out off the Mediterranean coastline heading east on route to Montpellier Marseilles & Monaco. Every summer the crowds flock to this coastline, for me in this place though it's all about the seafood. Walking past restaurants here, every second table seems adorned by platters of fruits de mer, moules & frites on every menu, oysters by the dozen, calamari...
Despite having spent a little time coasting the oyster beds around France now I feel still that the time to write oyster has not yet arrived, more oysters need to be sacrificed. I turn then to the mussel. The dish, moules marinières, is a classic
Ingredients: mussels
white wine -about a glass
onion/garlic -one of each
celery/leek/fennel bulb -a stalk of each
red or yellow capsicum -one will do
parlsey/thyme/peppercorns -plenty of each
mussels -about a kg
Method:
* scrub clean the mussel shells & yank out the beard (hairy bit)
* dice&slice the veg,add thyme, drop in a big pot with a knob of butter
* put all the clean mussels in the pot 
* pour the wine in, lid on, hot element
* wait til the liquid boils then allow 2-4 minutes to cook the mussels, shake the pot a few times to move mussels about. They will steam open when ready
(throw away the mussels which dont open) 
*add in the chopped parsley
* serve in bowls, with the broth, crusty white bread on the side

 [mah-reen-YEHR] 1. À la marinière is a French phrase meaning "mariner's style." It refers to the preparation of shellfish with white wine and herbs. It can also refer to a fish dish garnished with mussels. 2. Marinière sauce is a mussel stock-based bercy sauce enriched with butter or egg yolks.
                                  (http://www.answers.com/topic/marini-re-1#ixzz22OsIJvR1)
We had a lovely evening the night this dish was made. In the kitchen, everyone got busy which, in a house full of chefs, is always a sign of good things to come.  The evenings are cool here & we (ed: actually, not we but Bree who laid the table!) laid the table outside. Centre table sat the mussels, which we ate with our fingers - it's the way, really. Empty shells soon form a small mountain on the plate, don't worry - it's normal!
Bree made a caprese salad (one of my favouritefavouritefavourites) with avocado, I made my signature roast beetroot, walnut, goat's cheese, rocket & red current salad, Beth was making fish cakes for the guests in the villa next door so we bought a little more salmon, some prawns & a fillet of cod & added that to the mix with some orange kumara mash & loads of fresh herb, & made extra fish cakes for oursleves. Nick made the moules marinière, adding one more dish to his repertoire.
Conversation round the table involved a lot of flexing of mussels, as it were, comparing recipes & responding with the appropriate "yea that sounds good, but you should try..." type responses (every chef secretly knows their own version is best). Mussels are a favourite among chefs if for no other reason than that they are so easy to cook & taste so amazing. My mother used to dish them out to feed the masses when I was a kid, & everywhere I go, it's a dish I plate up at some point. Bree told me about a version she was shown & which has become a favourite of hers:
Moules a l'Oriental (Algerian)
2kg moules
1cup filtered mussel stock/water
1cup dry white wine
1cup white wine vinegar
1cup sunflower oil
1Tablespoon cumin
4cloves garlic
1tube tomato concentrate
pepper
Method:
*in a pot, in hot oil, cook out the cumin powder, garlic, tomato paste
*add the mussels, cleaned & washed, mix all about
*slowly pour in the liquids, over the mussels & put a lid on the pot
*shake the pot a few times, mussels will cook in 2-4 minutes
*to serve, ladle into bowls, with crusty bread & butter
Another version I like involves ginger, kaffir & lemongrass, a thai style stock with coconut cream & fresh coriander....which leads me to my final note: the liquid left in the pot is worth keeping. Strain this stock through a sieve & use it next time you make mussels. If space allows, freeze this stock in the ice-maker, keeping zip lock bags full of stock cubes, labelled & dated, for convenience next time around...
 
(While the northern hemisphere European mussels are nice'n'sweet'n'all, these New Zealand green lipped mussels are the beauties I miss cooking & gobbling up - big, fat, juicy & rich, they definitely take gold over their European cousins)

No comments:

Post a Comment