the concept

the concept

The idea came from some friends, Lucy Jason & George, who were back home briefly & raved about a chef in London's East End...http://fridaynightakeout.blogspot.com/
I thought it was such a good idea, the best thing to do would be to bring it to life here where I live in New Zealand.
So...I'm also a freelance chef, each week I cook a different dish, depending on what's in season, what's good now, or just how I feel. Lately I've been cooking a lot of my mother's dishes

Dish descriptions will be posted here online early in the week, recipes later over the weekend, with links to:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pabloskitchen/130053437081945 & http:/twitter.com/#!/pabloskitchen

As I play with the idea through the week, the dish maybe evolves a little, but that's half the fun. Meals will be priced at $20, incl delivery & orders can be made anytime up to roughly lunchtime Thursday, which is when I go shopping. Simply get in touch, email or txt, you can order as many as you like!
Afternoon Friday I'll deliver dinnerboxes warm/cooling/cold, locally in & around my base, which admittedly does change a bit - currently I'm north of Auckland, living by the beach in Mangawhai (just let me know where you are when you get in touch).

tel: 021 676 123
email: pabloskitchen@yahoo.com

I've recently included an email subscription option at the bottom of this page &, while I have no idea how it works, the hope is that it automatically sends to subscribers email notifications each week about the dish...so, sign up!

disclaimer:
From time to time, when the wanderlust takes over, I hit the road & disappear in search of dishes, tastes & ingredients elsewhere. Then this blog takes on a different kind of persona; a travelling recipe book of notes, pics & stories, ideas to inspire & for me to return to, once I get back home.

Monday 12 November 2012

kitchen talk: a tart for every occasion

 
An earlier post, entitled kitchen basics: shortcrust pastry (click on the link) details the method behind using shortcrust pastry to cook a range of relatively easy to prepare dishes. Lately it seems I am again in a phase of cooking quiche & flans & tarts of all descriptions. A pastry case is perfect when there's, say, only one capsicum or the last of the mushrooms or a little cheese left in the fridge, perhaps some pears that need using in the fruit bowl, or maybe there's glut of figs now that the tree in the garden is in season. Even left over roast veges or chicken from the night before can be used to create a delicious tart for lunch the next day.

I've developed a few combinations that have become favourites over the years, signatures even, but combinations really are endless in variety. What I love is the moment a fresh pastry comes out of the oven, soft yet brittle, a new creation melted together, ingredients caramelised or covered in an egg custard that has risen in the oven. The alchemy of ingredients which, when brought together, is always a wonder to behold. Mainly, I just love a good tart. 

For the purposes of reference then, this is an opportunity to catalogue some of these tarts & quiche combinations. For my cooking classes, below are a few pointers to set tart aside from quiche, but below is mainly about a series of pictures & dish descriptions only which, over time, will be added to.

1) the tart: a blind baked pastry case, ingredients prepared appropriately (perhaps cut perhaps not, perhaps cooked perhaps not) & fitted inside, then finished in the oven. I like to add something that will melt or loosen in such a way that everything will hold together. A jam or jelly for sweet combinations has the added bonus of acting also as a glaze; a cheese  for savoury will melt some, colouring even, & keep everything in place.

2) the quiche: as above re ingredients, but with an egg/cream mix poured over, a baked egg custard that will cook in the oven. This egg/cream mix is known as royale & can be sweetened or seasoned for a savoury dish. It is poured into the pastry case to about 1/3, as it will rise & roughly double in volume while cooking in the oven (you don't want overflow!) 
recipe: royale mix
6 eggs/1 litre cream
salt/pepper/cayenne pepper a pinch of each
beaten together & stored in the fridge for up to 3 days.

roast beetroot & pumpkin, black pepper & herb baked egg custard
fig & parma ham, goats cheese, fresh thyme, quince paste
 
 crabapple jelly & pear, blue cheese & walnut
blackberry jam & camembert, figs, thyme, bayonne ham 

No comments:

Post a Comment