the concept

the concept

The idea came from some friends, Lucy Jason & George, who were back home briefly & raved about a chef in London's East End...http://fridaynightakeout.blogspot.com/
I thought it was such a good idea, the best thing to do would be to bring it to life here where I live in New Zealand.
So...I'm also a freelance chef, each week I cook a different dish, depending on what's in season, what's good now, or just how I feel. Lately I've been cooking a lot of my mother's dishes

Dish descriptions will be posted here online early in the week, recipes later over the weekend, with links to:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pabloskitchen/130053437081945 & http:/twitter.com/#!/pabloskitchen

As I play with the idea through the week, the dish maybe evolves a little, but that's half the fun. Meals will be priced at $20, incl delivery & orders can be made anytime up to roughly lunchtime Thursday, which is when I go shopping. Simply get in touch, email or txt, you can order as many as you like!
Afternoon Friday I'll deliver dinnerboxes warm/cooling/cold, locally in & around my base, which admittedly does change a bit - currently I'm north of Auckland, living by the beach in Mangawhai (just let me know where you are when you get in touch).

tel: 021 676 123
email: pabloskitchen@yahoo.com

I've recently included an email subscription option at the bottom of this page &, while I have no idea how it works, the hope is that it automatically sends to subscribers email notifications each week about the dish...so, sign up!

disclaimer:
From time to time, when the wanderlust takes over, I hit the road & disappear in search of dishes, tastes & ingredients elsewhere. Then this blog takes on a different kind of persona; a travelling recipe book of notes, pics & stories, ideas to inspire & for me to return to, once I get back home.

Thursday 24 October 2013

friday25oct2013: harissa rubbed chicken with mejadra, lentils & spiced rice, crisp fried onions

 
Along the narrow central alleyway of the Shuk in Tel Aviv is a small open air kitchen selling Yemeni dishes, run by Elad. Elad is a chef who cooks the flavours he grew up with, learned in his mother's kitchen, learned on the streets of Tel Aviv & Jerusalem. I ate there every chance I got. 
"Hello, my brother!" he'd shout out as we elbowed our way closer to the counter, finding empty stools & climbing up to get a clear view of the menu - a scrawl of English & Arabic chalked up on the wall above. "What will you eat today?"
"Anything Elad, surprise me. I want everything & I can't decide!" My standard reply.
I knew I'd be eating something fabulous in moments. Elad's cooking was delicious from the very first mouthful, & that's how it was until my last mouthful, weeks later when the time to return home to Auckland had finally arrived. I just love those flavours!
The secret of his ras-el-hanout blend I never learned, but these are spices used across the Middle East in all manner of ways, in Jewish & Arabic food, & eastward across Persia & into India...coriander & cumin, cinnamon & clove, ginger & paprika. Inspiration lingers here for me, so this week's fridaynightdinnerbox dishes have been written with these dishes & flavours in mind.
So then, this week in the fridaynightdinnerboxes: free-range chicken rubbed with a home made harissa paste & flame grilled. Served along side, Mejadra, a dish common in the markets & small restaurants all over Israel & Palestine which combines rice & lentils, cumin & coriander, crispy fried onions. A small Israeli salad of cucumbers & tomatoes also.

Your part is simple: get in touch by Thursday afternoon, cos that's when I go shopping, & tell me how many dinnerboxes you'd like.

Drop-offs Friday from 4pm onwards, to the office/site/home just let me know what suits.

To order, contact me by txt or email:
txt: 021 676 123
email: pabloskitchen@yahoo.com (subject heading: “fridaynightdinnerbox”)
& I’ll confirm your order when received.
talk to you soon…

No comments:

Post a Comment