the concept

the concept

The idea came from some friends, Lucy Jason & George, who were back home briefly & raved about a chef in London's East End...http://fridaynightakeout.blogspot.com/
I thought it was such a good idea, the best thing to do would be to bring it to life here where I live in New Zealand.
So...I'm also a freelance chef, each week I cook a different dish, depending on what's in season, what's good now, or just how I feel. Lately I've been cooking a lot of my mother's dishes

Dish descriptions will be posted here online early in the week, recipes later over the weekend, with links to:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pabloskitchen/130053437081945 & http:/twitter.com/#!/pabloskitchen

As I play with the idea through the week, the dish maybe evolves a little, but that's half the fun. Meals will be priced at $20, incl delivery & orders can be made anytime up to roughly lunchtime Thursday, which is when I go shopping. Simply get in touch, email or txt, you can order as many as you like!
Afternoon Friday I'll deliver dinnerboxes warm/cooling/cold, locally in & around my base, which admittedly does change a bit - currently I'm north of Auckland, living by the beach in Mangawhai (just let me know where you are when you get in touch).

tel: 021 676 123
email: pabloskitchen@yahoo.com

I've recently included an email subscription option at the bottom of this page &, while I have no idea how it works, the hope is that it automatically sends to subscribers email notifications each week about the dish...so, sign up!

disclaimer:
From time to time, when the wanderlust takes over, I hit the road & disappear in search of dishes, tastes & ingredients elsewhere. Then this blog takes on a different kind of persona; a travelling recipe book of notes, pics & stories, ideas to inspire & for me to return to, once I get back home.

Sunday 4 September 2011

recipe: roast chicken & kale tagliatelle, walnut cream sauce

while the ingredients on their own, in this dish, are worth going on about (organic, flavour-licious, crunch, etcetc...) the true hero of this dish is the pasta. made from scratch on the kitchen bench, sleeves rolled to the elbow, flour dust in the air...
-hmmm, i mutter my way thru the pantry, what am i looking for today & where are you?...yes, porcini powder: you are just the thing!
...rolled/cut/hung to dry a little; magic happens when pasta is stretching thru my ancient little machine.
i have to indulge: i was a working as a cocktail bartender, just starting out in hospitality some 20 years ago, when i approached the fearsome person of executive chef in his office deep within engine room of the regent hotel, where i worked, to ask that he ok an order for me, a pasta machine like the one i'd seen the cooks using. it was my first piece of cooking equipment. i had not seen pasta machines in the shops, indeed the kitchen store phenomena as we know it now had not begun. it cost the grand sum of $25. it was my baby, i was so thrilled.
more than 20 years on, it is still my baby, it has seen many many campaigns, & it's still a thrill every time i fasten its bracket to the bench & fit the handle to turn the latest dough.
as for the recipe, it's a personal preference thing of course. plenty out there:
http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pasta-recipes/a-basic-recipe-for-fresh-egg-pasta
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/freshpastadough_3067
the principle is the same regardless: flour/egg & work it, baby. the recipe i use was passed on to me by my chef, kent baddeley, while i held the post of entremettier at petit lyon in wellington. amazing chef; amazing restaurant; amazing pasta. i roll my pasta thinly, poaching it gently; i like delicate long threads of pasta, to roll round the tip of my fork for a decent greedy-size mouthful.

& so, the recipe:

>take an organic chicken & using a heavy knife cut thru the breast bone & lay the bird out flat in a tray
>chunks of ginger/garlic/lemon & a nice big glob of good dark honey; baste the bird
>cover the tray with foil & put into a moderate oven, mine sits on about 200. 20-30mins, remove foil & return to the oven to get some colour & finish off the cooking
>cool a little & shred the meat from the frame, set aside

>garlic/onion/leek/thyme into warm pan, sweat in butter/olive oil/salt, covered, until translucent & sweet
>add the kale, i add my toasted walnuts at this stage, so they soften & impart their nuttiness to the sauce
>turn the flame up a little , add a splash or so white wine, cream in generous proportions
>i add my roughly shredded chicken to the sauce at this point
>simmer on a medium flame until it begins to thicken. add a splodge of creme fraiche, stir it in
>add chopped fresh herbs basil/parsley/cracked pepper

>in boiling water, sprinkle a good measure of salt to season, olive oil to stop tagliatellerettes sticking
>stir to keep pasta moving until you're sure theres none stuck together
>the pasta will cook in a matter of minutes, if using fresh, or roughly 10mins if using bought in a packet

>drain pasta well, pouring some olive oil thru it to keep the pasta from sticking together into a single solid lump. i sprinkle thru some salt flakes, lemon zest
>add it all together & let it sit, covered, for a few moments...& eat it!


No comments:

Post a Comment