the concept

the concept

The idea came from some friends, Lucy Jason & George, who were back home briefly & raved about a chef in London's East End...http://fridaynightakeout.blogspot.com/
I thought it was such a good idea, the best thing to do would be to bring it to life here where I live in New Zealand.
So...I'm also a freelance chef, each week I cook a different dish, depending on what's in season, what's good now, or just how I feel. Lately I've been cooking a lot of my mother's dishes

Dish descriptions will be posted here online early in the week, recipes later over the weekend, with links to:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pabloskitchen/130053437081945 & http:/twitter.com/#!/pabloskitchen

As I play with the idea through the week, the dish maybe evolves a little, but that's half the fun. Meals will be priced at $20, incl delivery & orders can be made anytime up to roughly lunchtime Thursday, which is when I go shopping. Simply get in touch, email or txt, you can order as many as you like!
Afternoon Friday I'll deliver dinnerboxes warm/cooling/cold, locally in & around my base, which admittedly does change a bit - currently I'm north of Auckland, living by the beach in Mangawhai (just let me know where you are when you get in touch).

tel: 021 676 123
email: pabloskitchen@yahoo.com

I've recently included an email subscription option at the bottom of this page &, while I have no idea how it works, the hope is that it automatically sends to subscribers email notifications each week about the dish...so, sign up!

disclaimer:
From time to time, when the wanderlust takes over, I hit the road & disappear in search of dishes, tastes & ingredients elsewhere. Then this blog takes on a different kind of persona; a travelling recipe book of notes, pics & stories, ideas to inspire & for me to return to, once I get back home.

Tuesday 12 February 2013

fri15feb2013: peppered beef & mushroom pie


cook-a-cow, continued 
this week's cut: eye fillet/tenderloin

#'1: the eye fillet/tenderloin is cut from the loin, is the beef cut of the highest quality, with a price per kilo to match. Sitting under the ribs, next to the backbone, this muscle does very little work & is the most tender part of the animal as a result. Faster cooking methods such as grilling & frying suit the fillet. 

 

While these lovely long summer days keep coming, the slightest of chills has begun to sneak into the night air. I felt it for the first time the other night, in my mind the cry 'nooooooooooo' & then I  thought: it's time for a pie. 
In a dish, pie crust on top? pastry top & pastry bottom? Not sure yet. What I can say is that there will be beef, it will be beef eye fillet, there will be mushrooms, perhaps other vegetables too, there will be gravy (how could there not be!) & then of course there'll be pastry. Golden, flakey, delicious pastry. Puff.
Looking after the player's meals at the recent ASB & Heineken Tennis Opens here in Auckland, I had plenty of opportunity to practice the cookery of this cut, both as whole fillets & cut into steaks. Using off cuts & left overs I came up with a classically simple little mix that started with a slow cooked mire-poix of vegetables, adding to this mushrooms & a beef jus. I separately flashed a dice of seasoned fillet, adding this to the wet mix. It was really tasty. A pastry lid over the top & that's what I call a pie worthy of fridaynightdinnerbox

A paragraph all to itself? Why not. Along with the peppered beef & mushroom pie, mention must be made of the veg & salad which, as always, is part of dinner. Potatoes, most probably mashed, & a salad of greens & sprouts & seeds & things.

Your part is simple: get in touch by thursday afternoon, cos that's when I go shopping, & tell me how many dinnerboxes you'd like.

Drop-offs from 4pm onwards, to the office/site/home just let me know what suits.

To order, contact me by txt or email:
txt: 021 676 123
email: pabloskitchen@yahoo.com (subject heading: “fridaynightdinnerbox”)
& I’ll confirm your order when received.
talk to you soon…
 'Sausage John' English butcher in Gourdon, S/W France, cutting a single t-bone steak for a customer (me)

No comments:

Post a Comment