the concept

the concept

The idea came from some friends, Lucy Jason & George, who were back home briefly & raved about a chef in London's East End...http://fridaynightakeout.blogspot.com/
I thought it was such a good idea, the best thing to do would be to bring it to life here where I live in New Zealand.
So...I'm also a freelance chef, each week I cook a different dish, depending on what's in season, what's good now, or just how I feel. Lately I've been cooking a lot of my mother's dishes

Dish descriptions will be posted here online early in the week, recipes later over the weekend, with links to:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pabloskitchen/130053437081945 & http:/twitter.com/#!/pabloskitchen

As I play with the idea through the week, the dish maybe evolves a little, but that's half the fun. Meals will be priced at $20, incl delivery & orders can be made anytime up to roughly lunchtime Thursday, which is when I go shopping. Simply get in touch, email or txt, you can order as many as you like!
Afternoon Friday I'll deliver dinnerboxes warm/cooling/cold, locally in & around my base, which admittedly does change a bit - currently I'm north of Auckland, living by the beach in Mangawhai (just let me know where you are when you get in touch).

tel: 021 676 123
email: pabloskitchen@yahoo.com

I've recently included an email subscription option at the bottom of this page &, while I have no idea how it works, the hope is that it automatically sends to subscribers email notifications each week about the dish...so, sign up!

disclaimer:
From time to time, when the wanderlust takes over, I hit the road & disappear in search of dishes, tastes & ingredients elsewhere. Then this blog takes on a different kind of persona; a travelling recipe book of notes, pics & stories, ideas to inspire & for me to return to, once I get back home.

Saturday 5 May 2012

recipe: bulgogi, steamed veg, white rice

The best thing I can think of to say about this dish is, it's a keeper. I'll be eating Bulgogi again, soon; cooking it often from now on, too. In my quest  to cook-a-cow, joint by joint, this bulgogi was made using beef sirloin; pork & chicken versions are out there, by all accounts very popular. The process is simple enough; marinate the meat, grill it & use the marinade to make a sauce, serve it with rice & some tasty vegetables...an easy dish for a wok.
Ingredients: the bulgogi, incl marinade
onions, garlic, nashi pears
garlic chives, parsley stalks, spring onions
honey, saki, soy sauce, salt
method:
*peel & finely slice the veg/fruit then puree them
*slice chives stalks & sprouts on the slant, fold in to the pureed pulp
*add seasonings to taste
the marinade is ready to use now, so place yr meat & cover it well, mixing it all together with yr hands, letting it sit at least 2hrs, but preferably overnight, in the fridge
Ingredients: the vege garnish
leeks, carrots, capsicum, courgette,
 celery, daikon radish, bok choy
method:
*slice vege into small bite size, julienne looks good
*blanch in boiling water or steam 2mins, refresh in iced cold h2o, strain dry
*to reheat, plunge back into boiling h2o or nuke for 1or2mins in the microwave
I whipped up a quick dressing from finely chopped ginger/fresh coriander&mint/honey/s'n'p/sesame oil 
 Ingredients: the meat
marinating beef sirloin, finely sliced onion
toasted seeds, spring onions, parsley
sesame oil, olive oil
method:
over a fire on the embers would be a nice way to cook the meat for this dish, but in absence of a bbq, a good heavy pan would do, or a wok on a gas hob would be otherwise perfect
*get the pan super hot, strain the meat, fry in oil quickly, in batches, put aside in a bowl
*let the sauce develop between each batch, reducing whats left in the pan & adding to the meat
*fry a little sliced onion to add to the meat
*fold in chopped spring onion&parsley, toasted seeds

To serve this dish, cook some white rice, medium grain, I added a little wakame as they do in Japan, but this isn't necessary. I also used watercress, leaves only, tossing them with the rice at the last minute.   In a bowl, the bulgogi sits on the rice, your vege salad on top, the reduced bulgogi sauce should provide a good moistness to the dish, but if need be the marinade can be strained & reduced for this purpose.

As an extra little something on the side, when I was playing round with ideas this week, I threw together a wanton garnish: a whole segment of roasted elephant garlic rolled in chopped coriander&sesame, stuffed with a whole honey toasted cashew, a splodge of plum sauce for good measure. Deep fried they sit nicely in the bowl...& it's good to have an excuse to fry something tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment