the concept

the concept

The idea came from some friends, Lucy Jason & George, who were back home briefly & raved about a chef in London's East End...http://fridaynightakeout.blogspot.com/
I thought it was such a good idea, the best thing to do would be to bring it to life here where I live in New Zealand.
So...I'm also a freelance chef, each week I cook a different dish, depending on what's in season, what's good now, or just how I feel. Lately I've been cooking a lot of my mother's dishes

Dish descriptions will be posted here online early in the week, recipes later over the weekend, with links to:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pabloskitchen/130053437081945 & http:/twitter.com/#!/pabloskitchen

As I play with the idea through the week, the dish maybe evolves a little, but that's half the fun. Meals will be priced at $20, incl delivery & orders can be made anytime up to roughly lunchtime Thursday, which is when I go shopping. Simply get in touch, email or txt, you can order as many as you like!
Afternoon Friday I'll deliver dinnerboxes warm/cooling/cold, locally in & around my base, which admittedly does change a bit - currently I'm north of Auckland, living by the beach in Mangawhai (just let me know where you are when you get in touch).

tel: 021 676 123
email: pabloskitchen@yahoo.com

I've recently included an email subscription option at the bottom of this page &, while I have no idea how it works, the hope is that it automatically sends to subscribers email notifications each week about the dish...so, sign up!

disclaimer:
From time to time, when the wanderlust takes over, I hit the road & disappear in search of dishes, tastes & ingredients elsewhere. Then this blog takes on a different kind of persona; a travelling recipe book of notes, pics & stories, ideas to inspire & for me to return to, once I get back home.

Sunday 13 May 2012

recipe: shin of beef, cider soy & ginger sauce

What started out as a curious little braise has transformed throughout the day into a sweet sensational number. Well, not little as it goes, the steaks I picked up from the Westmere Butcher this morning were a good meaty size, organically reared beef & a good 500g per piece, thickly cut & on the bone, & cheap at $9.50 a kilo. It was with barely restrained glee that I walked out of the butcher's, anticipating the day's cooking to follow.
I love shin on the bone, & it was my mother's favourite cut also. She would make soup which would sit simmering on the stove, barely trembling, with garlic & carrots, bay & a sprig of thyme, a clear consomme which was delicious to sip... This week, following HFW's recipe, there was a degree of uncertainty over the ingredients listed: garlic & ginger, ok, but cidersoy sauce? crabapple jelly? together?? Process is important so, as mentioned in the last post, have a little faith; the merits of following a recipe reveal themselves as the dish develops in the pot. This recipe has proved to be no exception.
Ingredients: braised shin on the bone
pieces of shin, 1 per person
olive oil, salt, pepper -enough to rub over the meat nicely
ginger -2 sticks the size of yr thumb, peeled
garlic -a whole head
soy sauce -about 1/2 a cup
cider -I used a 1125ml bottle of harvest
a good dollop of crabapple jelly
a red chilli
 
Method:
*get the pot nice & hot, a good heavy dish, cast iron is good
*a little oil, throw in the sliced garlic & ginger, a little salt
*seal shin steaks in the pan, getting a good colour on each side, a cpl of minutes each will do
*remove the meat, set aside, & deglaze the pan with the soy sauce, using a wooden spoon to free all the crunchy tasty bits. It doesn't look too pretty, but at this stage flavour happens.
*add the jelly, crabapple is what I used, but berry something-whatever...I'm sure will be fine
*return shin pieces to pan, pour over cider to nearly cover, at least 1/2 way, drop in the chilli
*put the lid on, bring to the boil, reduce heat to barely a simmer
*walk away
*keep an eye on it, adding cider if required, turning meat if necessary, as it cooks
*I reckon about 4 or 5 hours does the trick. it's not an exact time measure, but you'll know when the meat is good: it'll fall from the bone when you pick it up to try it to see if it melts in your mouth, which it will do.
 
To serve, remove the meat & strain the juices. Overnight, the fat will rise to the surface & can be skimmed away (or saved to fry your breakfast sausages & mushrooms...). The juices can be reduced to thicken a little then used to spoon over the meat. Full of complexity, it's sweet, meaty, really really good.
On the side, I served spaghetti noodles tossed with marlborough salt, olive oil, parsley. I also blanched some winter green vegetables, silverbeet, beans, brussel sprouts, a knob of butter, a sprinkle of chilli pepper
English ciders, the first two of my tasting session. 

No comments:

Post a Comment